Normally when we hear the term “Artificial
Intelligence”(A.I.), we think of the science fiction super computers that can
do everything on their own without the need for people. However, fantasies
aside, A.I.’s today have their part in digital artwork through their
programming, simulations, analysis, and calculations. In reference to the
previous journal post on games, upon examination, all games essentially contain
an A.I. to control, react, and change things according to interaction. Even
sites that we use such as E-bay, Amazon, Facebook, and other marketing or
social sites use A.I.s, but they are more like “agents” according to Jaron
Lanier in Christine Paul’s book. These intellectual agents use the similar
properties of A.I.’s in order to place recommendation for purchases or
advertisements for products or pages according to the history of previously
bought items or visited pages. With the turn of digital technology into art,
artificial intelligence is not excluded in this integration. Though they “cannot
be simply labeled ‘AI projects’” (Paul 2008 p. 147). they create a larger
expanse in the capabilities that interactive art pieces can now include.
Although, A.I.’s are essentially almost used for everything
computer/electronic related, do A.I.s used in games, the Internet, and art
pieces really differ from each other? In what ways has artificial intelligence
influenced your perspective and work?
References:
Paul, C. 2008. Digital Art. 2nd
edition. NY: Thames and Hudson, Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment